Named after Jean Baptiste LeMoyne, the founder of the City of New Orleans. The hotel was designed by James Gallier who designed many of the city's most impressive structures including the town's City Hall. Gallier designed some portions of the Chateau LeMoyne as far back as 1847. The hotel begins at 317 Dauphine Street, where three elegant Greek Revival Townhouses are set several feet back from the street enclosed by iron fences. Additional townhouse buildings on the Bienville side of the property were home to D. Mercier & Sons Clothing Store in the years 1885-1935. They were demolished in 1970 to make way for the new building housing Chateau LeMoyne.
The building sweeps around the corner where it comes to a beautiful ending in another handsome Galler-designed edifice in the 900 block of Bienville. This elegant 2-1/2 story brick structure was built around 1857. In 1970 it was restored and developed into the Bienville Suite which is often used as our bridal suite. In addition to the Bienville Suite, the hotel features the Executive Suite, the Garrett Suite as well as eight Creole Suites in renovated slave quarters built in 1847. These suites with their grace and grandeur feature the original wood beam ceilings and brick walls offering a nostalgic appeal.
The Chateau LeMoyne had a most auspicious debut, officially opening its doors on October 30, 1971 complete with a New Orleans parade and Dixieland Jazz Band. The guest of honor was Marcel Robidas, Mayor of Longueuil in Montreal, the original home of the LeMoyne family.